Friday, July 28, 2006

To Live...


One of my favorite movies is Braveheart. Every time I watch it, something inside of me is stirred...something about what life really is. This clip from the movie (post below - "Sons of Scotland") always gets me. Each time I watch it I am ready to charge the English with Wallace, sword in hand. Deep in my heart I want to be like William Wallace.

The cold reality is that I am like the man two rows back with a hoe, which says something to the effect, "If we go back home we will live." I want to save my life just like him. I cherish comfort way too much...but comfort is not life.

Jesus said,

Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” ~ Matthew 10:39

What this world needs are followers of Christ who have decided give up their lives to...live. I am fully convinced that the war on terror will only be won when Christ followers with love strapped to their bodies enter villages in Iran. Starvation will end when Christians bring their potluck dinners to the villages of Somalia. Abortion will be no more when Christ's church engages the culture as opposed to running from it. Racism will be forgotten when the churches move from the suburbs back into the city.

Life is there for the taking when we choose to give up our lives and engage in the things that God cares about. That is what it means to live.

Every man dies...not every man really lives.

No comments: