Monday, August 13, 2007

Is "New" Really Better?

We live in a culture where new is better. Or maybe it's just me. Or maybe it's just because I'm a man. Yes I know I have issues!

But doesn't it always seem that if you don't have the newest car, clothes, house, or technology that maybe you are missing out. Worse yet you feel "less then" because you are behind the times? Our culture worships at the church of "What's Happening Right Now".

Quite frankly, Christians are no better in this regard. Newer church buildings are better right? Churches that use video projectors are better right? Churches that play the newest worship music is better right? People that have read the "Purpose Driven Life" are better right?

Settle into this verse for a moment and see where God takes you.

"This is what the Lord says:
“Stop at the crossroads and look around.
Ask for the old, godly way, and walk in it.
Travel its path, and you will find rest for your souls.
But you reply, ‘No, that’s not the road we want!’" ~ Jeremiah 6:16 (NLT)

Jeremiah was simply trying to impress upon Israel that newer and different wasn't better or even right. He was reminding them that the ancient ways of the Living God were the only way to live life.

Good words for my heart. Contentment is the ways of God is where life is best...and that is what my heart needs.

So maybe I won't get that extra gig of RAM for my computer...at least for now.

No comments: