Monday, June 18, 2007

The Ability To See


It has been tough to blog this spring. There have been way too many things going on. It is the kind of busyness that just gets old after a while...almost nauseating. Thus the reason for this post.

I have been reading through the Old Testament in the New Living Translation (I really enjoy reading the Bible in this version). In 1 & 2 Chronicles, instead of using the word "prophet" the translators use the word "seer". Here is an example:

"Then the Lord spoke to Gad, David’s seer." ~ 1 Chronicles 21:9

I read that and thought, "I need one of those!"

I figure that the biggest culprit for most of my problems in life is a simple lack of vision. I just flat out can't see! I plow through life, doing the same thing day after day. Have you ever noticed how everything is so daily? It's like your life is mapped out for you. I find myself on the same yearly routine, and I wonder how I got there.

That same sort of thing happened to the cows on the family farm. It was somewhat humorous in a way. (Of course at the time dad didn't think it was so humorous). The cows would put their heads down and just start to eat grass. You have seen them do this. They just walk along munching grass, paying no attention to their surroundings, totally caught up in eating grass. Then when they look up, they have no idea where they are. There were a number of times we would find cows on the other side of the fence, out in the middle of a field and we had no idea how they even got there. Shoot, most of them had no idea how they got there.

The problem is that cow story sounds a lot like my life, and I don't want to live life like that. I don't want to be a cow. I don't want to just wander through life eating grass then wonder how I got on the other side of the fence. I want to be different. I want to blaze a different trail. I want to breakaway from the herd...and I know that I am not the only one who feels that way. Many in our culture want to get away from the herd. They just try to do it by dumping their wife,or buying a Harley and cruising the open highway, or maybe getting a different job/career...there are countless ways.

I really think that God wants us to get away from the herd too. In Romans 12:2 Paul writes;

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world,"

then later in Galatians 5:15 he writes,

"So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives."

That is really the whole idea behind this Wild Goose Chase blog. God desires for us to breakaway, we just fail to see. We fail to see that God has a guide for us who is wild, adventurous and free. We are just too busy eating grass!

So here is a challenge for you: stop what you are doing, look around, and see what is going on. Where is God working, what is he doing, where is he leading you? Pray daily that God would open your eyes to see; to see His Kingdom and to see that things that he cares about.

No comments: