Monday, October 13, 2008

Doctrine: The Holy Spirit - Question

Here is the one question I didn't have time to answer Sunday after the message.

"
How do u know its the HS & not just u when u r deciding to do something?"

You know, this is good question and actually a rather common question. Most Christians, myself included, want to know what God wants them to do and struggle with knowing the response.

So let me throw a couple of thoughts out there. The first and most important it to read the Bible. The Holy Spirit inspired the writing of the Bible and so as long as your activities, thoughts, and desires are in tune with Scripture you can know that the Holy Spirit is leading.

My second thought is this: What if in most cases, we are splitting hairs? Here are the words of Jesus to his disciples before his arrest. Now remember, Jesus has been their "Counselor," in the flesh. He has been their rabbi and lead them over the past three years, now he is going and these are his words:
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.” ~ John 14:16-1

This new "Counselor" is spirit in form and will take the place of Jesus--but not just by or with them, but in them; intermingled with their spirit...regenerating their hearts. So what if the decisions and choices we begin to make once we are Christians are already lead by the HS?

For example, you enter into a covenant relationship with Jesus and receive the gift of the HS. Then you decide to join a small group Bible study. Who lead you to make that decision? You hear a missionary speak at church about a huge need in a certain country and you decide to give money toward that ministry. Who lead you to make that decision? Well it was you and the HS. Remember, you have been transformed, changed and so there are a lot of decisions you are going to make that honor God because you have been renewed from the inside...out. You are possessed by the HS and you are going to begin to make decisions simply because of the work of the Spirit in your life. So that is why I say it's kind of like splitting hairs, your spirit and the HS have become one.

Actually the harder thing is saying "no" to the HS or simply not trusting his leading and doing your own thing. Those moments seem to be much more clear in my life. I can count way too many times in my life when the HS wanted me to say something and I chose to be silent. I can think of times when the HS wanted me to intercede and I remained inactive. There have been time when the HS wanted me to confess a sin to someone and I chose to play it safe. If you are like me, it's not so much knowing what the HS wants me to do, it's more of a matter of doing what he wants. I hope that helps.



No comments: