Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Blood Is Thicker Than Water"

I'm sure that you have heard this saying, "Blood is thicker than water." Maybe you have said or someone in your family has said it to you. It's usually used to make someone feel guilty if they have made a choice that goes against the family (insert your Godfather voice here).

Well, I was doing some research for my Adult Bible Fellowship Class and I came across the meaning of this popular saying. Here is what I found:

"The old adage that 'blood is thicker than water' (originally intended to advocate that family ties are stronger than the ties of baptism into the spiritual family of God) is wrong!" ~ Paul T. Butler, The Gospel of John

According to Jesus (Luke 8:21) we are to align ourselves most closely with those who hear God's word and put it into practice. So for what it's worth, now you know what that saying is all about.

No comments: