Sunday, August 27, 2006

Your Prayer Agenda

For the past couple of weeks we have been doing a sermon series on prayer. It has been good for this preacher to revisit prayer. There are so many things I miss or forget. Anyway I came across this story from my dad's blog (www.testeele.blogspot.com) and I thought I would share it here as well. The point I caught hold of was this: we miss "it" when it comes to prayer. Why? Because we start with our agenda not God's. Here's the story.

I found this story in a sermon by Peter Marshall that I want to share with you; it is supposed to be historically accurate.

In 1540, Martin Luther's great friend and assistant, Frederick Myconius, became sick and was expected to die within a short time. On his bed, he wrote a loving farewell note to Luther with a trembling hand. Luther received the letter and instantly sent back a reply, "I command thee in the name of God to live. I still have need of thee in the work of reforming the church. The Lord will never let me hear that thou art dead, but will permit thee to survive me. For this I am praying, this is my will and my will be done, because I seek only to glorify the name of God." One week later, Myconius recovered and died two months after the death of Luther.

No comments: